Who qualifies for a Medical Marijuana Registration Certificate in Connecticut?
- Resident of the state of Connecticut
- 18 years of age or older
- Receiving treatment for a qualifying, debilitating condition under the care of a doctor licensed by the state of Connecticut (Cancer, glaucoma, and HIV/AIDS are just 3 examples of qualifying conditions)
- Cannot be an inmate in a state correctional facility, or under the supervision of the Connecticut Department of Corrections
I qualify for a Medical Marijuana Registration Certificate. How do I apply?
Adult residents of Connecticut can apply online by uploading electronic copies of all required application documents, or mail all completed application documents in one envelope to:
Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection
Attention: Medical Marijuana Program
165 Capitol Avenue, Room 145
Hartford, CT 06106
Before beginning the application process, be sure to have the following items available:
- Proof of residency– two different forms of proof that show your name and address dated within 90 days that must be computer generated. For example, you could submit a utility bill and a current insurance policy bill. You will need to make legible copies to mail in the application packet, or electronic copies to submit online.
- Proof of identity– two different forms of identification such as a valid, state issued driver’s license and your social security card. At least one form of identification must have a current photo on it. You will need to make legible copies to mail in the application packet, or electronic copies to submit online.
- Recent passport sized photograph– This must have been taken within 30 days of submitting the application. You will need an electronic copy in JPEG format to submit online.
- $100 registration fee in the form of check, money order, cashier check for mailed in applications (make checks and money orders payable to “Treasurer, State of CT”), or debit/credit card for online applications.
- Caregiver identificatification (if necessary)- proof of identity and a current passport sized photograph for the caregiver. Electronic copies will be required to submit online.
I have all of the required documents, and the registration fee. What is next?
- Make an appointment with your physician. Only your state-licensed physician can initiate the application process for you by certifying to the department that you are qualified for medical marijuana treatment. The physician will be required to initiate the application process online, and he or she will ask you for information such as a valid email address and your primary telephone number.
- Create a patient account using the email address you provided you physician to confirm the information submitted by the physician is correct, and to answer the application questions.
If you are approved, you will receive your certification in the mail. The maximum amount of medical marijuana each certificate holder is allowed per month is 2.5 ounces. The Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection provides a list of contact information for medical marijuana dispensaries here.