How do I qualify?
- Be a resident of the state of Delaware
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Have a physician certification for having one of the qualifying, debilitating conditions
I qualify for the Medical Marijuana Program. How do I apply?
First, obtain a medical marijuana recommendation from your doctor. Not all doctors are willing to recommend medical marijuana treatments. Cancer, Hepatitis C, and HIV/AIDS are 3 of the qualifying medical conditions. The doctor will also be required to fill out the “physician certification” paperwork stating that you qualify for the Medical Marijuana Program. The physician certification will be mailed in with your application packet.
Make sure to include the following with your application documents:
- A legible copy of the patient’s Delaware state issued identification card or driver’s license
- Medical information release consent form
- Physician certification
- Completed and signed patient application
- $125.00 Non-refundable Application Fee (personal or cashier’s check made out to the State of Delaware Medical Marijuana Program)
Only if you designate a caregiver, you will also need to include the following information with your application packet:
- Caregiver application form
- Legible copy of the caregiver’s birth certificate
- Legible copy of the caregivers’s Delaware state issued identification card or driver’s license
- Caregiver’s criminal history background check
Once the application packet is complete, mail all documents to:
Delaware Division of Public Health
ATTN: Medical Marijuana Program
Suite 205 / HSP ADM
417 Federal Street
Dover, Delaware 19901
All items must be submitted in one envelope. It is suggested to mail using a “return receipt service,” so that you have confirmation your application was received. Electronic and faxed copies will not be accepted.
Allow 4-6 weeks for application processing. It can take up to 12 weeks. If your application is approved, you will receive an approval letter in the mail. This letter will contain your application finalization appointment time and date. You will go into the office to finalize the application, and have your photo taken for the card. If your application is denied, you must wait for a period of 6 months before applying again.