How do I qualify?
- Be a resident of the state of Montana
- Suffer from a debilitating medical condition OR suffer from chronic pain
- Have written certification from at least one licensed physician
What documents do I need to apply?
In the state of Montana, there is a separate application for adults and minors. There are three different Physician’s Statement options. If the patient qualifies because of a debilitating medical condition, he or she will need to submit the Physician’s Statement for a Debilitation Condition with the application. There is a different Physician’s Statement for patients diagnosed with chronic pain. This application requires either one physician’s statement with x-rays, MRI scans, or other proof supporting the diagnosis of the chronic pain. If the cause of the chronic pain cannot be captured with x-rays or scans, the patient must obtain a second physician’s statement confirming the chronic pain diagnosis. All patients under the age of 18 require 2 physician’s statements to apply.
All patients must submit the following documents to apply:
- Complete, signed patient application form (18 and over) (under 18)
- Legible copy of patient’s valid, state issued driver’s license or identification card
- $75 patient registration fee (check or money order payable to DPHHS/MMP)
- Complete, signed, original Physician’s Statement for a Debilitating Condition or Physician’s Statement for Chronic Pain Diagnosis or Physician’s Statement for Minors
- Complete, signed Landlord Permission Form (if patient plans to cultivate inside a rental property)
How do I apply?
Complete, signed patient applications and all supporting documents may be mailed in one envelope to:
Department of Public Health and Human Services
Medical Marijuana Program
P.O. Box 202953
Helena, MT 59620-2953.
It is recommended to mail the application and all supporting documents using a return receipt method, so that you will receive notification that your application was delivered. Allow thirty business days for application processing. If the application is denied, the patient will receive a letter of denial in the mail. If approved, the Medical Marijuana Registration Card will be mailed to the patient’s home address. Each cardholder is permitted to have up to 1 ounce of usable marijuana, 12 seedlings, and 4 mature plants if cultivating. If a patient chooses to name a provider, he or she is not permitted to cultivate.