What qualifies a patient for a Medical Marijuana Registry Card?
A patient must meet the following requirements to submit an application:
- Be a resident of the state of Vermont
- Have a qualifying, debilitating medical condition
- Obtain written verification from a licensed physician
- A legal guardian must apply for a patient under the age of 18
I qualify for the Medical Marijuana Registry Program. How do I apply?
First, obtain a medical marijuana recommendation from your health care professional. Not all doctors are willing to recommend medical marijuana treatments. Cancer, glaucoma, HIV/AIDS, and multiple sclerosis are the qualifying medical conditions. Patients who have a different condition that causes such chronic symptoms as severe pain, wasting syndrome, seizures, or nausea may also qualify. The physician is required to complete the Health Care Professional Verification Form to be submitted with the patient application.
Each patient must submit the following items to apply:
- Original, signed Patient Application (must be notarized)
- Original, signed Health Care Professional Verification Form
- A legible copy of the patient’s Vermont issued driver’s license or identification card
- A current digital photograph of patient (this must be in JPEG format on a CD labeled with the patient’s name and date of birth)
- $50 non-refundable application fee in the form of check or money order payable to Department of Public Safety
- Registered Caregiver Application
- Procurement Selection Form
- Minor Form (completed by the legal guardian if patient is under 18 years old)
Once the application is complete, mail all documents, in one envelope to:
Department of Public Safety
103 South Main Street
Waterbury, Vermont 05671
All items must be submitted in one envelope. It is important to send the packet “certified mail,” so that you have confirmation your application was received. The certified mail receipt will act as proof that the application was mailed. It is important to keep copies of all submitted documents for your records.
Allow thirty days for the Marijuana Registry to process the application. If the application is approved, the Medical Marijuana Registry Card will be mailed the the patient’s home address. If the application is denied, a letter will be mailed to the patient’s home. The card is valid for one year.
Once approved, each cardholder is permitted to have two ounces of usable cannabis material, two mature plants, and seven immature plants.