For the last 29 years in the United States, February has been National Great American Pies Month, a glorious dedication to eating as much of as many different kinds of pie as possible. In line with Great American Pies Month, February 20 is National Cherry Pie Day.
Since the only thing better than traditional cherry pie is a cherry pie infused with cannabis, here is an easy-to-follow recipe that you can use to celebrate Great American Pies Month any time year.
Start to finish: 90 minutes (30 minutes active)
Yield: 1 pie
4 cups tart cherries, fresh or frozen
1 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
½ teaspoon almond extract, optional
Your favorite pre-made pie crust, store-bought or homemade, divided in two
1 tablespoon granulated sugar to sprinkle on top
Small mixing bowl
8 to 9 inch pie pan
1. Add cherries to a medium saucepan over medium heat on the stovetop, and cover with a lid. Stir occasionally.
2. After about 5 to 8 minutes over medium heat, you’ll notice that the saucepan becomes filled with the liquid juice from the cherries. Remove from heat and stir.
3. Combine the sugar and cornstarch together in a small mixing bowl. Once combined, add the sugar and cornstarch mixture to the saucepan of hot cherries. Stir until fully mixed.
4. Pour the almond extract into the pan. Stir until well combined.
5. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
6. Return the saucepan to the stovetop and cook over medium-low heat. Simmer, stirring frequently until the mixture begins to thicken. Avoid scorching.
7. Once thickened to desired consistency, remove the mixture from the heat. Set aside to cool.
8. Prepare your favorite pie crust, whether store-bought or homemade earlier. You should have two pieces, one for the bottom and one for the top. Add one of the pie crusts to the bottom of the pie pan.
9. Pour the room temperature cherry mixture into the bottom of the crust. Add small dollops of the butter to the top of the cherry mixture.
10. Cover with the second pie crust and make an X in the center to allow steam to escape during baking. Dust the top with the remaining granulated sugar.
11. Bake in the preheated oven for 50 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and inside is bubbly. Remove from heat and allow the Cannabis Infused Cherry Pie to cool on a baking rack.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.