$62.46 Billion was spent in the cosmetic and beauty industry in 2016. I know my bathroom cabinet has been full of lotions and creams that were not giving me the results I wanted. Get ready, because this tutorial is going to show you that all the ingredients you need to make your skin glow are either in your kitchen or in your bong! Sit back and relax with the DIY Cannabis Face Mask!
The endocannabinoid system works throughout the entire human body, regulating mood, appetite, pain and more. Essentially, cannabinoids help your body communicate with itself. Your skin is the major communicator as to what is going on inside your body. The breakouts, caused by build up in various organs, can be treated with Cannabis and it’s help from it’s anti-inflammatory properties.
*You can also use hemp oil for this recipe, but included is a quick recipe on how to make your own cannabis oil.
What You Will Need:
- 1 cup Olive Oil- The more fresh and virgin the olive oil, the higher the oleic acid content. Oleic acid is the most effective in delivering cannabinoids transdermally compared to any other fatty acid as it absorbs into the skin penetrating deeply.
- ¼ ounce Ground Cannabis
- 3 Cups Distilled Water
- Cheese Cloth
Prepare using Crock Pot or Lidded Pan on Stove or Baking Method
- Pour the olive oil and cannabis material into the pan with 3 cups distilled water. For Pan: Set To low heat for 90 minutes. For Crock Pot: Set on low for 3-4 Hours.
- Do Not allow the oil to burn or “fry” the plant matter.
- Line a strainer with 3 layers of cheese cloth and strain. Set aside the strained plant material for a hot or cool facial wrap!
- After the oil and water have completely separated at room temperature, put the oil and water it in the freezer for 60 minutes to allow the oil to become solid. Use a warm spoon or knife to separate the oil into a clean container.
- Marinate Cannabis in olive oil until saturated. Bake covered in glass dish at 300 degrees for 30 minutes. Allow this to cool and strain the oil from the plant material using the three layers of cheese cloth. Squeeze out as much oil as possible.
- Place in clean jar. Store in refrigerator for a creamy ointment texture.
Now For the Mask!
What You Need:
- 1 Tsp Activated Charcoal
- 2 Chamomile Tea Bags (steeped and cooled)
- ¼ cup Witch Hazel
- 2 Tablespoons Turmeric
- ½ cup Aloe Vera Gel
- 3 tsp Cannabis Oil Salve
- Medium Foundation Brush
Chemicals bind to Activated Charcoal to help remove them from the body. Toxins stick to the charcoal and make it a great detoxifier and deep cleanser. Alpha-bisabolol, found in Chamomile tea, helps reduce the appearance of wrinkles by accelerating the healing process of the skin; it also possessing anti-irritant and anti-inflammatory properties. Applying the cooled tea bags to your eyes is one of the most effective ways to take advantage of chamomile as a natural skin healer. Drink the tea you make as well as little thank you to yourself for taking the time to really pamper your skin.
Millions of people swear by the acne healing properties of witch hazel because it is also an anti inflammatory and astringent. It helps to tighten skin tissue and can reduce the appearance of dark under eye circles. The aloe vera gel from the plant is another powerful natural anti-inflammatory. It reduces pimple size and its antimicrobial properties kill bacteria. It is extremely rich in vitamin C and E which happen to be two of the most important vitamins for your skin. Turmeric is antiseptic and antibacterial while also helping to clear acne scars and inflammation, combining all this together helps reduce the oil secretion by the sebaceous glands.
Preparing The Mask:
- In a small glass bowl combine all ingredients together to make a gel like paste. I suggest taking this mixture into the shower or bath to open your pores from the steam.
- Apply the mask with the make up brush liberally after being in a steamy room for 5 minutes to a cleansed face.
- Place cooled Chamomile tea bags to eyes and Leave on for 15-20 minutes.
- Wash mask off and enjoy your radiant complexion.
Store extra mask in fridge and use with 3 days.
Author note: This mask is intended for sensitive skin types. Feel free to add ingredients according to your natural skin condition. Essential oils of Lavender or Patchouli can be added sparingly.
This post was originally published on May 18, 2017, it was updated on October 5, 2017.